Lorne's Story
Home Page

Banners of Lorne


Ribbon Tribute

Others Missing

Links of Lorne

Contact Page

Flier Page

Photo Page



Events for Lorne

Ways You Can Help

Lorne's Story

2005 Vigil

I would like to share this with all of you.  It was written on July 29, 2005 and read at the vigil we just held.
Lorne's mother did write Lorne's story as it took place from prior to his disappearance to the day of.  Here is what she wrote...
Some people know Lorne's story and some people don't
Some people will judge Lorne and others won't...
Lorne's Story
Lorne graduated from Pembroke Academy in 1998.  He was 18 when he graduated high school, a typical teen age boy, snow boarding, playing basketball, swimming, boxing, and just hanging out with friends.  Lorne was not judgmental and liked helping others.  He seemed to have lots of friends and was very popular.  He of course, loved nice clothes and fine jewelry.  Lorne is an only child and our pride and joy.
This is not a pleasant story for any parent to have so say but we feel it is important for people to know, and perhaps help understand why Lorne changed so.
After Lorne graduated from High School, he was invited to a New Year's Eve Party on December 31, 1998.  This is when Lorne took his first hit of Ecstacy.  Apparently Lorne used this drug for four months on a regular basis.  Then, on April 29, 1999, we received a phone call from him saying he needed his dad.  He was at the Home Depot on Loudon Road in Concord, about 12 miles from his home in Chichester.  About 30 minutes later, I received a call from my husband saying Lorne was not himself and I needed to come right away.  When I got to Loudon Road, Lorne was walking down the highway with one hand holding his eye open saying that he was special, had powers, and that I was evil and had to go.  We did not know what to do.  The police arrived and he was arrested, charged with destruction of property, possession, and resisting arrest.  This was the first time Lorne had ever been arrested.

I mention this story as I feel it is important for people to know the dangers of Ecstacy and other drugs available to our children.  We had no idea of what Lorned had been taking nor had we ever heard of Ecstacy.  Now, unfortunately, we can say we know what this is nand it can destroy a life.

Once Lorne was releasesd, he was placed on probation, and had a CADAC evaluation, Court Appointed Drug & Alcohol Counselor.  At this point in time, Lorne realized he could no longer "Party with his friends".  Lorne was told he would have no lasting effects from his drug use.  This appeared to be untrue.

Lorne became sober and monitored by the hospital for 2 1/2 years.  He was in and out of jobs, believing people were out to get him, in and out of reality, and in and out of doctors appointments.  He was placed on Haldol, a mind controlling drug, and then on Respidone.  Lorne went through several changes, in his life.  After 2 1/2 years, May, 2001, we were told by the clinic that they could do no more for him and we should take him to  Riverbend, an outpatient facility).  This was not successful, as Lorne left the facility and never was well enough to return.

For the next 2 months, Lorne b ecame more distant.  He stopped eating, stopped dressing, stopped talking, and just plain stopped everything that seemed normal to us.  What was happening to our Lorne?

Lorne would take long walks in the evening by himself.  Then on July 29,  2001, around 6:00 PM, Lorne went for a walk with nothing other than his white fleece shirt, black fleece pants, and sandals.  This ws the last time we saw Lorne.

For fours years, we have tried to get media coverage, posted fliers, mailed fliers to shelters around the country, created a Website, attend missing seminars and functions in different states to become aware of missing resources and for support of others who have missing loved ones.  We have lettered our vehicles, we where T-shirts with Lorne's picture and information and wonder every day what else we can do to bring him home.

As parents of a missing loved one, we cannot begin to explain or understand why this has happened.  We know it is not up to us to ask why, we can only hope that somewhere out there Lorne knows we love him and are waiting for his safe return.

This was written by Lorne's mom for his 4 year vigil.  I would like to add in that this is not the side of Lorne that I saw.  I saw a young man that loved his young cousins and lived for their happiness.  He took my children to Amusement Parks, Trick-or-Treating, swimming, snow boarding, and just "hung out" with them.

That is the unpredictability of Schizophrenia, there is NO normal.

Thank you to all that read this.

Praying for Lorne and Hoping for the Lord to guide him home,

Hugs to all,

Louise   (Lorne's Auntie Wease)